Friday, February 17, 2012

Sometimes good people do bad things

I'm sure all of you know by now the news about Councilman Brady Banks.  I won't get into the details, you can find that elsewhere.  As it seems traffic is being driven to my blog because of a story I wrote a couple weeks ago regarding his potential for the Senate District 20 spot, I thought I'd say something.

I understand the "game is the game," I'm one of the worst offenders in treating politics as sport. We've all, at one time or another, experienced some level of schadenfreude over the failings of a politician because they were a member of another party or because we didn't like them. So I understand the inclinations of some Republicans or people who hate the Mayor as to why they would relish in this news.

For many of us though, especially many readers of this blog in Nashville, this is a personal story about a friend who made a horrible mistake and has deeply and perhaps irreparably hurt his wife and marriage.  His political career is irrelevant at this point, for those closest to him that is what we are concerned about.  So, I ask all of us to try and be better people, not just in our own lives but in how we treat those who fall, because we have all done things we aren't proud of at one time or another, and being a real friend means being there for someone in good times and in bad.

5 comments:

Jane said...

Thanks Sean. I couldn't agree more and couldn't have said it better!

Kathy said...

Thank you so much for writing this, Sean. That's exactly how so many of us are feeling today - we love the family and we want to be there for them in good times and bad. Now is not a time to revel in the game - it is time to gather 'round and rally. You're a good man.

S-townMike said...

This strikes me as a disingenuous post. Nearly everything I've ever read at "Nashville 21" seems to have a political purpose revolving around the Democratic Party and those who oppose your partisan views of what Nashville should be in the 21st Century.

So to write now as if you are getting more personal, as if your personal is not political, seems out of character for your writing, Sean. Indeed, the political bent of the post is expressed in your willingness to impugn this CM's critics as "relishing" in his misfortune. As if there are no reasonable questions to be asked, particularly at this time, which you arbitrarily determine should be question-free.

Such a blanket condemnation is as much a part of the empty political games you attempt to distance yourself from as is any "schadenfreude" you read into the responses of others who are not on your chummy terms with Brady Banks. If this were a thoroughly personal blog and not a political tool you use or if Brady Banks were not a public person whom you yourself have promoted as a future party leader, I would be able to take this post a lot more seriously as something more than itself a rally cry.

Otherwise, why not just refrain from blogging anything at all here in order to shield the truly personal dimensions of this event, of your fellowship, from the completely political context at Nashville 21?

You and I both know that Brentwood's Council Member is a public official, a public official who was arrested in my North Nashville community allegedly trafficking sex for $100 (hopefully, one day we may be able to discuss the classism of that cash amount as well). And yet, I'm not supposed to question these events because one Dem politics blogger in East Nashville, supportive of CM Banks's political future, insists that we give him more personal time free of questions? That is not going to happen, even if your personal calls here are unpolitical.

Sean Braisted said...

Mr. Byrd,

I apologize if you took any offense to my blog post. It was a personal reaction to a story written on my personal blog. I didn't mention your name or link to your website, nor did I make any blanket statements about people who might be critical of Brady Banks. If you saw some reflection of yourself in the words I wrote, well, there isn't much I can do about that.

I never claimed dominion over your blog, or your ability to say what you felt. I was more or less acknowledging my own past experience with politicians whom I didn't know or didn't like, and then relating it to how I felt about this particular incident involving a friend.

Its what I felt, and given the reaction I've received, its what others were feeling too. I'm sorry if this in some way hurt your feelings, I assure you that wasn't my intention.

mpeden said...

his political career is not irrelevant to the people in his district that he is supposed to represent for the next 4 years